STEP 1: Read the Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your signature will attest that you have completed this requirement.
STATUTES, RULES, REGULATIONS, AND POLICIES
STEP 2: Read Information and Instructions for Application for Licensure as a Practical Nurse by Reciprocity linked below.
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE AS A PRACTICAL NURSE BY RECIPROCITY
STEP 3: Read Good Moral Character Requirements for Licensure.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
- Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
STEP 4: Before beginning the online application, request all PN license verification from each state of licensure to be sent directly to PCS (whether active or inactive).
- PCS will confirm receipt of all license verification and confirm initial license issue dates, license numbers and jurisdictions listed on your application. Failure to list all licenses accurately on your application will cause processing delays.
- CLICK HERE to request license verification from participating Nursys states.
- CLICK HERE to download the Verification of Nurse Licensure form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- Fees may apply.
- Verification must be mailed directly to PCS from state board.
STEP 5: Request Education Documents
- U.S Educated: Request to have your Official Final Transcript that led to initial PN licensure sent directly to PCS from your educational program. PCS cannot accept transcripts received from the applicant.
- To send your transcript, please choose one of the two following options:
- Electronic Transcripts: PCS will accept final official electronic transcripts received directly from the primary source (such as the School, Parchment, or the National Student Clearinghouse) via secure server to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcripts via Postal Mail: Official Final Transcripts must be mailed by the educational program directly to PCS at:
ATTN: MA Board of Registration in Nursing
C/O MA Nurse Coordinator
P.O. Box 198788 Nashville, TN 37219
- Non-US educated: Complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
STEP 6: Submit required fees and then complete the online application, including the Child Protective Services (CPS) Background Record Request Form. This form is the last page of the application.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date.
- Information about your education program that led to your initial PN licensure, including school name, location and graduation date.
- Payment will be made by credit card. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please call 877-887-9727.
STEP 7: Upload your 2×2 color passport style photo to your account page: Submit your application and then click on your name from the home page, select Candidate Home, and go to Uploads. You will then select “2×2 Color Passport Style Photo” for the file type, select the correct corresponding application, choose file to upload, and click Upload Your File.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver’s license photos or photos of identification cards/passports will not be accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 8: PCS reviews application for completeness and accuracy. Upon receipt of all required documentation, PCS will notify the applicant via email of all discrepancies.
STEP 9: PCS, on behalf of the Board, emails License Letter to applicant.
STEP 10: Applicant confirms license number on the Massachusetts Health Care Safety & Quality: License Verification Website.
*You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply by reciprocity using this application.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the “Let’s Get Started” button below. You must click on your name from the home page, select “Candidate Home”, go to My Applications, and use the ‘Correct Submitted Application” link.