STEP 1: Read the Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Policies linked below. This is a signature requirement on the application. Your electronic signature on the online application will attest that you completed this requirement.
STATUTES, RULES, REGULATIONS, AND POLICIES
STEP 2: Read Information and Instructions for Application for Licensure as a Registered Nurse by Reciprocity document linked below.
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE AS A REGISTERED NURSE BY RECIPROCITY
STEP 3: Read Good Moral Character Requirements for Licensure.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
- Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
- An applicant for employment or for housing or an occupational or professional license with a sealed record on file with the commissioner of probation may answer ‘no record’ with respect to an inquiry herein relative to prior arrests, criminal court appearances or convictions. An applicant for employment or for housing or an occupational or professional license with a sealed record on file with the commissioner of probation may answer ‘no record’ to an inquiry herein relative to prior arrests or criminal court appearances. In addition, any applicant for employment or for housing or an occupational or professional license may answer ‘no record’ with respect to any inquiry relative to prior arrests, court appearances and adjudications in all cases of delinquency or as a child in need of services which did not result in a complaint transferred to the superior court for criminal prosecution.
STEP 4: Before beginning the online application, request license verification from each state of licensure to be mailed directly to PCS (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, or APRN) for those states that do not participate in Nursys and request license verification from participating Nursys states. We do not accept Quick Confirm results. You must pay Nursys the fees to release your verification to Massachusetts for those states that participate in Nursys. There is a separate fee for RN and PN licenses. Failure to request verifications, or list licenses accurately on your application will cause processing delays. Keep a copy of your Nursys receipt. You will be asked to upload a copy before starting your online application.
- CLICK HERE to request license verification from participating Nursys states. Select to send your verification to MA Board.
- CLICK HERE to download the PN/RN Verification of Nurse Licensure form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- CLICK HERE to download the Verification of APRN Authorization form if the state is NOT a participating Nursys state.
- Fees may apply.
- Verification must be mailed directly to PCS from state board
STEP 5: Before beginning the online application, request education documents
- U.S Educated: Request to have your Official Final Transcript that led to initial RN licensure sent directly to PCS from your educational program. If you have multiple nursing degrees, please submit the transcript from your first RN nursing diploma/degree program. PCS cannot accept transcripts received from the applicant.
- To send your transcript, please choose one of the two following options:
- Electronic Transcripts: PCS will accept final official electronic transcripts received directly from the primary source (such as the School, Parchment, or the National Student Clearinghouse) via secure server to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcripts via Postal Mail: Official Final Transcripts must be mailed by the educational program directly to PCS at:
ATTN: MA Board of Registration in Nursing
C/O MA Nurse Coordinator
P.O. Box 198788 Nashville, TN 37219
- Non-US educated: Complete a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) evaluation. The CGFNS evaluation report of foreign nurse education credentials must be made available to PCS. Applications for Licensure by Reciprocity that do not include the CGFNS evaluation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed by PCS.
STEP 6: Obtain a 2×2 color passport size photo. This is required before starting your online application. The photo must have a plain background and be taken within the last year.
STEP 7: Submit required fees and then complete the online application, including the Child Protective Services (CPS) Background Record Request Form. This form is the last page of the application. You must also have a 2×2 passport style photo with a plain background taken within the last year ready to upload to account immediately after submitting your application.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date. You must list all licenses completely and accurately. PCS will confirm this information. Leaving a license off your application or not listing it accurately, will require you to complete a new application.
- Information about your education program that led to your initial RN licensure, including school name, location and graduation date. This is the education program information you must list on your application. PCS will confirm this information.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please call customer service at 877-887-9727.
- Payment will be made by credit card. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
STEP 8: Upload your 2×2 color passport style photo to your account page: Submit your application and then click on your name from the home page, select Candidate Home, and go to Uploads. You will then select “2×2 Color Passport Style Photo” for the file type, select the correct corresponding application, choose file to upload, and click Upload Your File.
- Photo must be passport style with a solid background. Driver’s license photos or photos of identification cards/passports will not be accepted.
- Your photo is good for one year. You do not need to upload a new photo with a resubmitted application or re-exam application if your previous photo was uploaded less than one year ago.
STEP 9: PCS reviews applications upon receipt of all required documentation. PCS will notify applicant via email with any discrepancies.
STEP 10: PCS emails the License Letter via email from PCS on behalf of the Board
STEP 11: Applicant confirms license on the Massachusetts Health Care Safety & Quality: License Verification Website.
*You must have a United States Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply by reciprocity using this application.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the “Let’s Get Started” button below. You must click on your name from the home page, select “Candidate Home”, go to My Applications, and use the ‘Correct Submitted Application” link.