Applicants who have previously submitted an application and tested are considered re-examination candidates. Re-examination candidates must submit a new online application, with the required re-examination fee. Fee must be paid by credit card. If you have uploaded a photo to your account less than one year ago, you do not need to upload a new one. Photos are good for one year.
- Expired Application (submitted initial exam application over 1 year ago) – $230.00
- Repeat tester (submitted initial exam application less than 1 year ago) – $80.00
- Please contact email@example.com if you are unsure of your initial application date.
STEP 1: Register online with Pearson Vue for the NCLEX or call 866-496-2539. You can register immediately for the examination, but you will not be able to take another examination until the 45 day waiting period has expired.
- For questions about Pearson Vue’s testing center identification policies and/or general questions please contact Pearson Vue at 1-866-496-2539 or visit www.vue.com/NCLEX.
STEP 2: Read Good Moral Character Requirement for Licensure.
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
- Applicants for initial nurse licensure or initial APRN authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (Board) must comply with the “good moral character” (GMC) requirement specified at Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 112, sections 74, 74A and 76. The Board requires applicants who answer “yes” to questions related to criminal or disciplinary history to provide specific documentation for GMC evaluation directly to the Board after submitting a completed application inclusive of fees to PCS.
STEP 3: Submit required fees and then complete the online application, including the Child Protective Services (CPS) Background Record Request Form. This form is the last page of the application.
- Before starting your application, have the following information available:
- Your Initial PN/RN education program name, location, graduation date and program code.
- A list of all your licenses (whether active, inactive, PN, RN, APRN), including license number, status and initial issue date
- An electronic color copy of a recent (within one year) 2×2 passport style photo. You must upload a photo to your account page after you submit your application with payment.
- If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please please call customer service at 877-887-9727.
STEP 4: PCS reviews application upon receipt of all required documentation. PCS will notify applicant via email of discrepancies.
STEP 5: Applicant receives ATT via email from Pearson Vue.
STEP 6: Applicant schedules and takes NCLEX within 60 days of issuance of the Authorization to Test (ATT) letter.
Failure to take the examination within 60 days of issuance of the ATT will result in a voided ATT.
STEP 7: If you receive a passing score, you will receive a License Letter via email from PCS on behalf of the Board.
- If you do not receive a passing score, you will receive a Candidate Performance Report and NCLEX Re-examination Instructions by mail.
A licensure application will remain active for one (1) year from the date of receipt by Professional Credential Services (PCS).
- If the application is not complete, including meeting all licensure requirements, and achieving a “Pass” on the NCLEX within one (1) year from the date of receipt by PCS, the applicant must complete a new Initial Licensure by Examination Application and upload a new 2×2 passport style photo in order to retake the NCLEX.
- Applicants who have an active licensure application (within 1 year of submission to PCS) and have previously failed the NCLEX, must submit a Nurse Initial Licensure by NCLEX Re-examination Application.
- The Certificate of Graduation and Official Final Transcript will be retained by PCS. You are not required to submit a new Certificate of Graduation or Transcript unless requested by the Massachusetts Board.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need to resubmit an application to correct one that is already in process, do not use the “Let’s Get Started” button below. You must click on your name from the home page, select “Candidate Home”, go to My Applications, and use the ‘Correct Submitted Application” link.